1. The High Commissioner for Human Rights, Louise Arbour, was in Afghanistan this past weekend and I got to attend two meetings with her. The first was a meeting with women from families of victims of human rights abuses and violations during the past decaddes of war in Afghanistan. Women who have come together despite their differences to raise their voices in pursuit of justice. The subject of transitional justice, or lack of it, has been one that I have found incredibly disappointing. On Friday, though, both courage of these women and the wisdom and experience of Ms Arbour gave me new hope. More than anything else, this meeting made me smile.
2. Yesterday was my nephew's third birthday party and a large chunk of the party was spent chasing a small group of sheep who had escaped from their paddock - my sister's email about their sheep chasing adventures (involving my parents, sister and brother-in-law and the kids) made me smile.
3. An email from a beautiful Mermaid is making me smile.
4. Listening to great Kiwi music is always making me smile.
5. Photos (like the one below) from my holiday in California are making me smile.
PS: Happy Birthday Gorgeous!!